Cistercian Abbey Wilhering OCist

Located on the Danube, Wilhering Abbey (lat. Abbatia B. M. V. de Hilaria) is a Cistercian abbey founded in 1146 in the market town of Wilhering in Upper Austria. The collegiate church, built between 1733 and 1751, was influenced by the Bavarian Rococo style and is considered the most important Rococo sacred building in Austria.

Wilhering Abbey was not spared from the reforms of Emperor Joseph II. In order to avoid the closure of the collegiate church, it was converted into Wilhering parish church in 1784.

The Wilhering Abbey School, where young conventuals had received elementary education since the 16th century, was expanded into a boys' choir before 1787. From 1895, Abbot Theobald Grasböck gradually turned it into a grammar school with a boarding school. In 1955, a west wing was added to the abbey building to expand the grammar school.

Citations

  • Wikipedia unter https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stift_Wilhering

7 Victims

Sylvester Birngruber OCist

Priest and professor
* August 27, 1914
Bad Leonfelden
† March 4, 2006
Linz
Detention, Escape

Eduard Haiberger OCist

Priest
* October 25, 1887
Kirchberg ob der Donau
† April 6, 1945
Linz
Detention

Theoderich Hofstätter OCist

Priest
* December 24, 1906
Linz-Urfahr
† January 27, 1981
Horn
Detention

Stefan Plohberger OCist

Priest
* October 5, 1898
Alcove
† May 7, 1977
Linz
Detention

Valentin Pötscher OCist

Priests and teachers
* February 7, 1890
Traberg
† September 7, 1969
Wilhering
Detention

Gebhard Rath OCist

Priest
* April 13, 1902
Gramastetten
† March 2, 1979
Detention

Amadeus Reisinger OCist

Priest
* August 22, 1892
Kefermarkt
† March 21, 1953
Wilhering
Detention